Monday, December 12, 2011

What do you use to limit flies around your horses and barn?

My horses always get swarmed by bugs in the summer, so I am trying to figure out what I should do to prevent them as much as possible. What kind of fly sprays do you use on your horses? Also what other things to do you do to limit the flies, as well as all other insects like ticks and horseflies and such. Thanks.|||The best fly spray I've ever used is Endure by Farnam. it is oil based so it really stays on, even if the horse sweats, and it actually works to repel the flies. It builds up over time so you use it daily or less often as it builds up.





Around the barn I hang the fly traps that contain an attractant so they go in and become trapped. They are amazing. They have to be hung outside of the stalls and high up, or off of the barn eaves outside. I also use the sticky rolls of fly paper in some areas. I tried the fly predators which are tiny bugs that you release and they eat fly larvae on horse manure, and it didn't make enough of a difference to warrant continuing in my situation.|||Keep the manure bin covered, remove all manure quickly %26amp; frequently.


Remove all standing water.. don't use anything where water can pool %26amp; invite larvae.


Clean water troughs daily.


I like Super 7 by Flysect for flyspray.


I dislike feed throughs, even garlic because it has been proven to disturb immune system function.


I do like Fly Predators and have seen great results when they're used properly.


Sticky fly strips hung where they can stay undisturbed -- careful! birds can get caught up in them!


I also like Stinky Fly traps.


Fly masks, with ears, on my horses.





I also wash down stall walls about twice each summer to disinfect %26amp; remove fly poop.|||We use feed through fly control. The only problem is EVERY horse needs to be on it to be efficient. We use Equitrol, but that's just my preference.





We also have fly traps hanging in every stall and tack room.





We use Bronco Fly Spray, SWAT Fly Repellent (it's a gel that you can put on wounds, but we put it on our horses face since it's gentle. It keeps the flys our of their eyes and ears and nose).





One of the boarders said there's something like Frontline (stuff you put on dog's shoulders so they don't get ticks), but they didn't notice that much of a different.





Good luck!





Oh..you can also add Garlic to their feed. It helps keep the flies away. It's a natural supplement.





I spray my horses in the morning when I put their fly masks on. I also put SWAT around their chest, nose and ears.|||I use Ultra shield but that's just me here is the link:


http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp鈥?/a>|||Those fly predator things are truly a miracle. They've seriously reduced the number of flies where I board, to the point where you don't even need to apply flyspray daily. That is in conjunction with fly tape which catches and kills them.





For flysprays, I always use bronco because it's cheaper and I don't need anything super strong with the fly situation the way it is. For something stronger, they make something in an orange spray bottle (can't remember the name of it) that's really strong. And if you want to be SUPER intense, they also make stuff in an aerosol can that is supposed to be used on cow barns but is safe for horses too... just don't get it on yourself! It smells nasty too... I wouldn't recommend this unless all else has failed.


http://www.qcsupply.com/qcsupply/browse/鈥?/a>


There's one of the intense ones that comes in an aerosol can... the aersol can ones tend to be stronger





Then you want a flymask. Get one with ears attached if you clip your horse's ears, that way the flies will stay out. Otherwise the ears aren't needed, but they don't hurt either.





A fly sheet is a hassle to deal with but it can help a lot with the biting. A fly sheet will also keep a dark-colored horse cooler in the summer.|||hi i use citronella oil and tea tree oil and almond oil mixed together which works ok and is cheaper than the proper ones, i also feed my horses garlic as flies dont like it when they bite the horse! there is a mixture where vinegar and cold tea are used but i cant remember what it is? theres probably loads of different mixes, id do a web search for 'homemade fly remides' and there should be a few there. if u keep your horses in a barn try and keep the doors shut as much as possible i know its hard when its hot but it would help and dont leave any sort of food that might attract the flies etc. another thing that ive herd works quite well is fly sheets-rugs for your horses u could try that? i had a mare last year with sweetitch and i used a combination of the oils i said i use and some cream from my local horse shop called 'itch stop' it was abit expensive but i only had to put it on twice a week and it was really good and worked aswell! i hope this helps a little?! :)|||Use fly predators on your manure pile. You can order them online or find them at farm supply stores. They are small, wingless wasps (you won't even know they are there) that eat fly eggs. Also keep manure away from the barn, pick stalls regularly, and keep pastures and paddocks clean. There is also a product called Golden Malrin that can be sprinkled on the ground in "high fly" areas but take care not to put it down near food or water supplies or where animals graze. Fly traps work great too, but can be pretty nasty to dispose of. As for fly sprays, I tend to stick with farnham products or anything with citronella in it.|||Just fly sprays on the animals.





I like the Absorbine brand. But I'll buy whatever is on sale.





I've heard the same about vineager, but I don't believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment